To be the most powerful voluntary Organization that provides sustainable family Empowerment for the holistic development of all parents of Trinidad and Tobago.
To promote excellent support for parents and youth through well-defined and coordinated programmers' that will enrich their knowledge, skills and competences to transform the Society.
What kind of organization is the National Parent Teacher Association?(NPTA)
· A legal organization with an Act of Parliament 18 of 1976.
· A pressure group, a social gathering, a training institute and a watch dog organization.
· A voluntary organization with a professional approach to solving problems.
What is the main role of the NPTA?
The NPTA advocates for the rights of the child. The members believe that through their involvement with schools, they can enhance the delivery of education to children and empower their parents to do what is best for them.
How does the NPTA achieve its goals
· The NPTA empowers its members through participation in training sessions which are organised by the NPTA and by other organizations, for example "Creative Parenting for the New Era"
· By networking with other groups and organizations to achieve similar goals for example the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Trinidad and Tobago.
· By our presence on PTSC board and on committees (government and non government) which promote the welfare of the child. For example: Textbook committee, Security committee, the National Curriculum Council and Caribbean Examination Council (CXC).
a. To promote the welfare of children and youth in the home, school, church and community.
b. To raise the standard of home life.
c. To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
d. To bring into closer relationship, the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the training of the child.
e. To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for every child the highest advantages in physical, mental, social and spiritual education.
f. To co-ordinate the activities of all member units of the P.T.A associated in Trinidad and Tobago, and to encourage the formation of new unit association.
g. To collect and disseminate such information and technique as may give direction and guidance to member units with a view of increasing the capacity for service and to assist them in the use of the best Parent Teacher Association practices.
h. To keep the public and all member units abreast of modern methods of re-education and to inform them about relevant issues.
i. To encourage closer relationships among Parent Teacher Association by means of Conferences, group projects, mutual interests and concern.
What does the NPTA teach
1. Skills to manage the organization e.g. role and function of officers.
2. Negotiating skills. How to get along with others e.g. family members? How to communicate with different stake holders e.g. principal, teacher, ministry official?
3. Financial skills - Thrift and wisdom in
managing the PTA funds, and their own
funds at home.
4. Health skills: Benefits of good nutrition, preparing low cost meals, staying fit, managing your sexual health.
5. How useful parents are to the NPTA, whether they are professional or non professional parents.
6. Raises the self esteem of all parents.
7. Encourages parents to support the school principal, staff and students.
The NPTA Can:
· provide Support, advise and guidance on any issue concerning your child
· train you to become more effective in resolving problems within the school system
· encourage you to develop a range of skills that will increase your confidence
as a leader
· provide opportunities to practice those skills. the NPTA deals with a range of governmental and non-governmental
organizations and also runs various
community projects, sometimes sometime
in partnership with others
· inform you of activities, projects and initiatives taking place in the (8) educational
districts of Trinidad and Tobago
· provide opportunities for you to relax and socialize with members
How the NPTA can help you
The NPTA is a voluntary Organization whose motto “Home and School United For the Good of the Child”, Founded in 1960, it achieved legal status by an Act of Parliament - No 18 of 1976, With over 50 years experience as an advocate for children, the NPTA is well placed to voice your concerns about issues affecting children in education.
Quotations on Education
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief, and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness.
Ann Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
Education is the best provision for old age.
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
Aristotle, from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells, Outline of History (1920)
The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life.
Plato, The Republic
The very spring and root of honesty and virtue lie in good education.
Only the educated are free.
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future.
The illiterate of the future will not be the person who cannot read. It will be the person who does not know how to learn.
American writer and futurist, Born: October 4, 1928
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
(July 30, 1863 – April 7, 1947) American industrialist,